a Business with Public Speaking By Felicia Slattery
Public speaking to market a small business is one of the fastest and most effective ways to get more clients, grow your list of prospects, and boost your credibility all at the same time. When you create what I call a Signature Speech to market your business you’re on your way to fabulous results.
As a communication consultant, speaker and coach, one of the problems I see is small business owners think they know what they’re doing when it comes to using public speaking as a marketing tool. Unfortunately, time and again, entrepreneurs, solo professionals, sales professionals, and small business owners make the same mistakes. Are you ruining your chances of marketing success?
If you’re not getting the results from your public speaking, some of the mistakes you could be making are:
1. Not having a clear offer: If you’re not clear on what people will receive or even that you have anything specific to offer, they will be confused and therefore not sign up. Remember, a confused mind always says no.
2. Not presenting your offer at the time your audience needs to hear it: Delivering a good speech is all about timing. If you aren’t timing the presentation of your offer properly, you’ll lose a majority of your audience.
3. Not providing enough detail about the benefits of your offer: You must be explicit. Why would people want what you offer? Tell them what’s in it for them. How will their lives, businesses, careers, finances, or relationships be positively impacted by taking advantage of what you have to offer? Be specific.
4. Not providing enough helpful information during your presentation: Some speakers mistakenly believe they can give away “too much” information during a speech. Ask yourself this: is it possible for an audience to learn everything there is to learn about your subject in one 30-minute talk? Not likely. Be generous with the information you provide and you will see the reward in more clients, more prospects and more cash flow.
5. Having delivery problems: When you struggle with various aspects of delivery, you end up with the worst possible outcome — not being fully connected with your audience. When your audience does not feel a connection with you, they likely won’t feel a reason to participate in your offer.
6. Not speaking to audiences of your ideal target market: If you’re not speaking to the right group of people in the first place, they aren’t likely to want what you have to offer. For example, if you’re a parenting coach with great tips on handling toddlers, speaking to empty-nesters won’t get you the results you want.
7. Sounding like a sales pitch: Your Signature Speech should not feel like a 30-60 minute sales pitch. If you don’t provide solid, usable information during your talk, why would someone want what you offer? People are turned off by someone they perceive as too “salesy.”
If you are making any of these mistakes, stop now. You could be losing more clients and credibility than you gain. When you avoid these top 7 mistakes you’ll soon experience all the benefits of marketing your business with public speaking.
Public speaking is one important way to increase your credibility as a small or home-based business owner. I invite you to discover how to Increase Business by Communicating Your Credibility now. You’ll get this FREE e-course designed to help you attract more business and get more cash flow. Pick it up here: http://www.communicationtransformation.com/creating-credibility-ecourse.html
Felicia J. Slattery, M.A., M.Ad.Ed. is a communication consultant, speaker & coach specializing in training small and home-based business owners effective communication skills so they can see more cash flow now.